Disclosure: Links to external websites on this page may be affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This means, at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.
These are the best places to eat in The Catskills
I love Phoenicia Diner on Rte 28 for a glorious post-hike chow. So many great dishes, and their Bourbon Milkshake is such a fantastic adult treat. Dixon Roadhouse in Woodstock (run by the same people) is a little off the beaten path for hikers but definitely worth the extra few minutes in the car for a solid post-hike chow.
Circle W Market in Palenville is a superb place to pick up food before you hit the hills. Their sandwiches are hefty enough for two people to share for lunch, or for one person planning a long day on the trail. Their coffee game is strong, too.
The wood-fired pizza dough at Okaley’s in Arkville is almost naan-like in its texture and deliciousness.
I recently had the best falafel at The Pines in Mount Tremper.
Okay, hope you enjoy this list…
The Best Diners, Pizzerias, Smokehouses, Restaurants, Burger Joints, German and Mexican Restaurants, Cafés and Donut Shops in the Catskills
= Extra Awesome
Route 28: Boiceville, Mt Tremper, Phoenicia, Big Indian, Arkville
Great if you’re heading to Balsam Lake, Slide, Panther, Wittenberg, Peekamoose, Table, etc.
These locations are listed as they appear on Route 28 as you drive east to west.
- Hickory BBQ Smokehouse close to KingstonI’m keen to try these meats
- Bread Alone in Boiceville “solid”
- Boiceville Market IGA in Boiceville “good for sandwiches”
- The Pines in Mt Tremper “the greatest place on earth”
- Woodstock Brewing in Phoenicia “lots of outdoor seating”
- Phoenicia Diner just outside Phoenicia beloved by everyone
- Sweet Sue’s in Phoenicia re-opened under new ownership, gets solid reviews
- Brio’s Pizzeria in Phoenicia solid pizza, solid diner
- Peekamoose Restaurant in Big Indian for upscale farm-to-table nosh
- Oakley’s just east of Arkville “really good pizza”
East Catskills: Kingston, Woodstock, Saugerties
Great if you’re heading to Overlook or the Eastern Devil’s Path: Indian Head, Twin, Plateau, Sugarloaf, etc.
- Kingston Bread + Bar on North Front St super delicious
- Dixon Roadside in Woodstock run by folks who run the Phoenicia Diner
- Smokehouse of the Catskills just off Rte 212 in Saugerties
Tannersville: Devil’s Path
Great if you’re heading to Indian Head, Twin, Plateau, Sugarloaf, Hunter, West Kill. (Also good if you’re hitting the Eastern Devil’s Path when Platte Clove Rd is closed in Winter.)
- Shandaken Bake in Tannersville open Fri, Sat, Sun 8:30am til gone (and they sell out early!)
- Mamma’s Boys Burgers in Tannersville Great burger options (and Jane’s ice-cream)
- Pancho Villa’s in Tannersville
- Last Chance Antiques & Cheese Café in Tannersville “awesome food and drink”
Northern Catskills: Palenville, Hunter, West Kill, Windham
Great if you’re heading to West Kill, Windham, Blackhead, Black Dome, etc. (Also good if you’re hitting the Eastern Devil’s Path when Platte Clove Rd is closed in Winter.)
- West Kill Kitchen in Spruceton new! can’t wait to check it out!
- West Kill Brewery in West Kill regular awesome food trucks
- Circle W Market in Palenville many, many raves for this stop
- Jagerberg Hall in Hunter “awesome German food”
- The Windham Local in Windham “cozy place, great food, friendly service as well”
- Chicken Run in Windham “their Buffalo Chicken Wrap is amazing”
Western Catskills: Livingston Manor, Roscoe
Great if you’re heading to Balsam Lake Mountain, Willowemoc Wild Forest, Finger Lakes Trail, Trout Pond, etc. I don’t get out to this part of the Catskills much so thank you to Ralph Bressler of CatskillHiker.net for these solid recommendations.
BTW, here’s my list of Amazing Western Catskills Hikes.
- The Smoke Joint in Livingston Manor Great brisket and ribs. Take out or dine outside. Quick service.
- Upward Brewing Company in Livingston Manor A brewery with outstanding burgers. The beers are all brewed on site.
- The Arnold House in Livingston Manor Pub downstairs is for casual dining and a brew. Upstairs dining room offers a great skirt steak.
- The Kaatskeller in Livingston Manor
- Catskill Brewery in Livingston Manor
- Neon Croissant in Livingston Manor “The best croissants I’ve ever had” / Always busy on weekends.
- The Walk In / Stumble Out in Livingston Manor Day: “Amazing southern biscuit sandwiches” / Evening: “Craft cocktails and beer, nice wines, and great post-hike fare.”
- The Junction in Roscoe People rave about this place
- Roscoe Diner in Roscoe A Sullivan County tradition with an enormous menu. Fabulous deserts.
- Rockland House in Roscoe Sit down dining outside or get take out. Prime Rib is the star.
- The Courtyard in Roscoe
Thirsty after a long hike? Bookmark this list of the Best Breweries in The Catskills.
Here are the best places to stay in The Catskills.
Grab this list of the best hiking apps for the Catskills and beyond.
Get full access…
Get instant access to the full version of this site and enjoy great supporter benefits!
Hot on the website right now…
Follow for more…
Follow my @TotalCatskills content on Instagram for regular hiking inspo and safe, inclusive community.