“Over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity.”
— John Muir
Hi! Bonjour! ¡Hola! 안녕하세요! Ciao! Hallo! Dia dhuit!
The Classic High Peaks
The Traditional List of Catskills Peaks Above 3500’
Most people start hiking the Catskills by climbing a few High Peaks: Indian Head, Slide Mountain & Balsam Lake are popular starting points. Here are the 35 summits you’ll need to bag if you want to join the 3500 Club.
The Best/Easiest Mountain Hikes
The Very Best Hikes You Can Do in the Catskill Park
These lists are a curated selection of the most rewarding hikes you can do in the Catskills: the best of the High Peaks, the best of the lower peaks, the best trails and bushwhacks. It’s an awesome time, every time.
Wilderness Safety Basics
Planning Tips, Kit Lists, Emergency Numbers
Start safely, hike well, and finish in one piece. Here’s everything you’ll need: your clothing, your kit, how to plan a safe hike in every season, the best apps, what to eat, what to bring. It’s all the advice in one place.
Or Start Here…
With hundreds of miles of hiking trails and countless bushwhack routes, there are so many ways to hike the Catskill Mountains
Sorry I can’t make new mountains — but I add new hikes every week
Hiking News & Culture
This site is currently an early version of what I hope will become a valuable resource for hikers and walkers over the next few years.
My immediate next actions for the site are…
- Finish adding hike posts so that every Catskill High Peak has at least one associated hike ✅
- Add hiking gear reviews — particularly winter hiking gear ✅
- Add other kinds of content
- Integrate feedback from early users ✅
- Add a lot more photography to all posts
- Add brief mountain notes to all mountain header pages
- Add more hikes for lower Catskills peaks
- Add more hikes so all mountains have an increasing number of alternate routes
That’s my plan for now, which will keep me busy until spring.
Okay, hope to see you out there…