Hi! Bonjour! ¡Hola! 안녕하세요! Ciao! Hallo! Dia dhuit!
The Classic High Peaks
The Traditional List of Catskills Peaks Above 3500’
Most people start hiking the Catskills by climbing a few High Peaks: Indian Head, Slide Mountain & Balsam Lake are popular starting points. Here are the 35 summits you’ll need to bag if you want to join the 3500 Club.
The Best Catskills Hikes
The Very Best Hikes You Can Do in the Catskill Park
This list is a curated selection of the most rewarding hikes you can do in the Catskills: the best of the High Peaks, the best of the lower peaks, the best trails and bushwhacks. It’s an awesome time, every time.
Wilderness Safety Basics
Planning Tips, Kit Lists, Emergency Numbers
Start safely, hike well, and finish in one piece. Here’s everything you’ll need: your clothing, your kit, how to plan a safe hike in every season, the best apps, what to eat, what to bring. It’s all the advice in one place.
Or Start Here…
With hundreds of miles of hiking trails and countless bushwhack routes, there are so many ways to hike the Catskill Mountains
Sorry I can’t make new mountains — but I add new hikes every week
Catskills Mountain Hikes
A mix of recent and recommended hikes in the Catskills
Hiking News, Reviews & Views
Stuff you should know about…
This site is currently an early version of what I hope will become a super valuable resource for Catskill mountain hikers over the next few years, particularly for new hikers and new mountain hiking enthusiasts.
My immediate next actions for the site are…
- Finish adding hike posts so that every mountain has at least one associated hike
- Add brief mountain notes to all mountain header pages
- Add a lot more photography to all posts
- Go hiking
- Add kit reviews — particularly winter kit reviews and lists
- Add more hikes so all mountains have an increasing number of alternate routes
- Go hiking
- Add other kinds of content
- Best places to eat for hikers
- Best hiking apps
- Best Catskill hiking websites
- Best beginner hikes
- Best clubs for group hikes — there are several excellent clubs running group hikes in the Park
- Posts on hiking health, Catskills history and geology, and climate change
- Catskills news
- Get feedback from early users and integrate
- Go hiking
That’s my plan for now, which will keep me busy until the start of 2020. Then I can review things, look at what’s working well for the Catskills hiking community, and adjust.
Hope to see you out there…