“Here the works of man dwindle.”
— John Burroughs
Hi! Bonjour! ¡Hola! 안녕하세요! Ciao! Hallo! Dia dhuit!
Interactive Map of Hiking Trail Reports
The icons below are color-coded for difficulty: green, yellow, orange, red. Clicking on a pin will display the link to that hike report.
The Classic High Peaks
The Traditional List of Catskills Peaks Above 3500’
Most people start hiking the Catskills by climbing a few High Peaks: Indian Head, Slide Mountain & Balsam Lake are popular starting points. Here are the 35 summits you’ll need to bag if you want to join the 3500 Club.
The Best/Easiest Mountain Hikes
The Very Best Hikes You Can Do in the Catskill Park
These lists are a curated selection of the most rewarding hikes you can do in the Catskills: the best of the High Peaks, the best of the lower peaks, the best trails and bushwhacks. It’s an awesome time, every time.
Wilderness Safety Basics
Planning Tips, Kit Lists, Emergency Numbers
Start safely, hike well, and finish in one piece. Here’s everything you’ll need: your clothing, your kit, how to plan a safe hike in every season, the best apps, what to eat, what to bring. It’s all the advice in one place.
Or Start Here…
With hundreds of miles of hiking trails and countless bushwhack routes, there are so many ways to hike the Catskill Mountains
Sorry I can’t make new mountains — but I add new hikes every week
Hiking News & Culture
Catskills | Taconics | Adirondacks
Latest Mountain Hiking Posts
All recent posts in chronological order
This site is currently an early version of what I hope will become a valuable resource for Catskills hikers over the next few years
My immediate next actions for the site are…
- Finish adding hike posts so that every Catskill High Peak has at least one associated hike ✅
- Add hiking gear reviews — particularly winter hiking gear ✅
- Add other kinds of content
- Integrate feedback from early users ✅
- Add a lot more photography to all posts ✅
- Add more hikes for lower Catskills peaks ✅
- Add brief mountain notes to all mountain header pages
- Add more hikes so all mountains have an increasing number of alternate routes
Okay, have a great hike! Hope to see you out there…