Every year, between November 1 and April 15, the Town of Hunter does not maintain or remove snow from the very steep eastern side of Platte Clove Road. During these winter months, for safety reasons, the road is closed to vehicles.
A physical barrier is engaged until at least mid-April — weather permitting.
For most of us, Platte Clove Road is the fastest way to get to the eastern Devil’s Path and Kaaterskill High Peak.
Here’s the alternate route you need…
Winter Directions to Platte Clove
Coming down from the north takes a little longer but you can still get to all the good stuff.
Bonus: You’ll be driving through Palenville and Tannersville where there are lots of great places to grab great food.
- Take the NY State Thruway to Exit 20 / Saugerties
- From Exit 20, turn right and take Route 32 heading north
- At 6 miles, stay left to switch to Route 32A (the road bends sharply left)
- At 8 miles, you’ll be at the traffic lights in Palenville — see great places to eat in Palenville
- Continue left on Route 32A through Palenville
- At 11 miles, you’ll pass the trailhead for Kaaterskill Falls at the hairpin turn
- Drive straight through Haines Falls
- At 14 miles you’ll get to Tannersville — see great places to eat in Tannersville
- To bypass town, turn left (downhill) at South Main Street
- Follow this road down — it quickly becomes the western end of Route 16 a.k.a. Platte Clove Road
- At 16 miles, turn sharply left
- At 19½ miles, you’ll come to Dale Lane which will bring you to Roaring Kill and the Roaring Kill trailhead for Twin and Sugarloaf
- At 20½ miles, you’ll come to Prediger Road which is the trailhead for Indian Head and Twin mountains
- Finally, at 21¼ miles, you’ll arrive at Steenburgh Road which is the trailhead for Kaaterskill High Peak and Huckleberry Point
Timing: From I-87/Exit 20 this route adds about 15 minutes to your journey.
Phone Nav Issues
On your phone, neither Apple Maps nor Google Maps seem to understand that Platte Clove Road is often closed. They will route you that way unknowingly. To avoid disappointment, use the route above.