Disclosure: Links to external websites on this page may be affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This means, at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.
Hiking Trail Description
This recipe for custard toast is perfect for hikers who want a very filling breakfast that’s super-quick to make as well as insanely delicious to eat.
Custard Toast is a viral internet sensation from TikTok from Jan/Feb 2022. Here’s my version with several variations to keep it interesting.
Every internet recipe begins with a little story that beckons the reader to consider the formless void that bounded all space and time before the universe existed and how, billions of years ago, energy from the big bang cooled into subatomic particles which banded together to become brilliant stars which exploded into ever heavier atoms that eventually combined into the molecules of eggs and yogurt and gluten and bananas which you will now, trembling in the midst of temporality, assemble into a delightful snack to feed your own highly evolved yet disconcertingly mammalian bag of molecules — that tender temple of famished starstuff — all so that this universe can experience itself consuming itself, and your small corner of it can know joy.
So here’s how you make custard toast…
Custard Toast Ingredients
- 3-4 tbsp greek yogurt (any yogurt will do)
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp sugar (or equivalent sweetener)
- Spices: cinnamon and nutmeg
- ½ tsp vanilla essense
- Two slices bread (any soft bread)
- Thin sliced fruit / berries (whatever you like)
- Powdered sugar
- Sea salt
- Maple or chocolate syrup, or honey
Technically, you only need four ingredients to make custard yogurt toast: bread, eggs, yogurt, and fruit.
But, IMO, the basic custard yogurt toast recipe is improved a ton by adding the spices, sweeteners, vanilla and salt.
Hi! You might really enjoy…
This post is free to all readers thanks to my subscribers. Get full access to this website instantly and enjoy great supporter benefits!
I love this custard toast recipe because the whole process takes only 15 minutes or so. A few minutes prep, 12 minutes to bake, plus one minute to finish and serve.
Clean-up is a cinch, too.
Grab the PDF
- Grab this downloadable Custard Toast Recipe PDF!
Make the custard toast
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C)
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper (not crucial)
- Flatten interior of each slice to make a large depression
- In a bowl, mix the egg, yogurt, sugar, spices, vanilla
- Pour half the mix onto each slice
- Top with sliced fruit
- Bake for 12 mins / until the custard doesn’t jiggle
- Dust with powdered sugar and sprinkle with salt
- If you wish, drizzle with syrup or honey
Air Fryer Custard Toast
If you’d rather not to use an oven, you can bake this recipe in an air fryer. Air frying results in a slightly runnier inner custard, so the overall effect is something like a poached egg.
Online, I found instructions to air fry at 340°F (170°C) for 4 minutes. But when I tried that, the custard did’t quite set and everything looked a little pale. So I blasted the toast at 400°F (200°C) for an additional 2 mins and, overall, it worked out great.
Basically, air fry until everything is golden brown.
Try these delicious vacations. Beyond the four basic ingredients, there really are no rules. You can load up the basic recipe with whatever fruits and treats you have to hand…
- Add 1 tsp peanut butter (smooth) and chocolate chips to the mix
- Or try almond butter (it’s less sweet)
- Switch out the spices for cardamom and ginger
- Try raisin bread instead of plain white bread
- Try brioche custard toast
- When serving, add Nutella (or similar)
Don’t forget to…
- Grab the downloadable Recipe PDF!
Check out more simple delicious recipes on this site.
Get full access…
Get full access to this website instantly and enjoy great supporter benefits!
Hot on the website right now…
- Identify Bobcat vs Coyote Prints in Snow
- The Sketchiest Hike in the Catskills
- How Windy is Too Windy To Hike?
- Inspiration Point (Catskills)
- Overlook Mountain Trail
Follow for more…
Follow my @TotalCatskills account on Instagram for regular hiking inspo and safe, inclusive community.